INSTAGRAM INFLUENCER | ShaunSavage Photography
Date Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018
ShaunSavage Photography is a photography business that evolved from a hobby to a side hustle in 2012 after relocating to Canada from Cape Town, South Africa. They moved to Calgary in the fall of 2017 and involve their kids as much as possible with the business to grow their own entrepreneurial spirits at a young age. Learn why Calgary was the right fit for their young family and small business.
1. Where did you come from and what attracted you to the city?
We're originally from Cape Town, South Africa and moved to Saskatchewan in 2010.
In Cape Town we used to spend our weekends in the mountains, so it was inevitable that we would eventually discover the Rocky Mountains. In the summer of 2016 we took a family road trip down to Revelstoke and I will never forget heading through Calgary down the Trans Canada highway and seeing the rockies for the first time. Lets just say it was love at first sight. After the first trip we drove down as frequently as we could to snowboard, camp or mountain bike.
We decided that we wanted to move closer to the mountains and as the quote goes “All roads lead to Rome”, for us it was all roadtrips lead through Calgary. So ultimately when we set about planning the move Calgary was the only place on the map to move to. The other motivation for the move is to grow our photography business.
2. What do you do in your spare time?
We can't sit still and get cabin fever really quickly, so we're always busy. You can find us either:
- XC skiing/fatbiking in Bragg Creek,
- at the Bunny hill of Nikiska teaching the kids to Snowboard (which is always free by the way!),
- on the LRT heading downtown to explore everything Calgary has to offer,
- lost in the mountains somewhere or
- just at our local YMCA or public library.
3. What do you tell your friends and family from other cities about life in Calgary?
It’s a great city to raise kids with such a good balance between nature and city life.
4. What do you think is the biggest surprise about Calgary for anyone who isn’t familiar with the city?
How friendly, welcoming and polite Calgarians are!
**All photos were taken by ShawnSavage Photography during their take over of @lifeincalgary.
Want to become an Instagram Influencer and contribute to lifeincalgary? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
I will never forget heading through Calgary down the TransCanada highway and seeing the rockies for the first time. Lets just say it was love at first sight.