INSTAGRAM INFLUENCER | MATTHEW BATEY
Date Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018
Matthew Batey is the Corporate Executive Chef of the Teatro Restaurant Group. He has lived in Calgary twice, this time since 2014. Matthew has been cooking for 25 years (since he was 14), which is also how long his flagship restaurant Teatro has been open. In total, Matthew has 7 restaurants, mostly located downtown.
1. Any tips or advice for Calgary newcomers or those considering a move to Calgary?
Explore the city, don’t be afraid to talk to people, it’s a very warm and welcoming city.
2. What do you tell your friends and family from other cities about life in Calgary?
That it is the perfect size for me. Big enough to have all of the amenities such as sports, culture, arts and infrastructure yet not so big that it feels impersonal.
3. What do you do in your spare time? Favourite Calgary past-time or activity?
Ride my bike, we have such great cycling! Hike in the mountains. Spend time with friends sharing a good sip and bite.
4. How has the city influenced who you are or your organization?
Calgary is such a vibrant culinary city that it has enabled my career to grow exponentially.
5. What is a fun fact people wouldn’t know about you?
I don’t like chocolate, which is ironic because I started my career in pastry.
Want to become an Instagram Influencer and contribute to lifeincalgary? Email [email protected]
Calgary is a great city for the things I love. I love to be out exploring, dining and exercising.